Monday, November 4, 2013

The Book of Me, Part 9: Halloween -- Bah Humbug!

This is my entry prompted by The Book of Me, Written By You project created by Julie Goucher of the Anglers Rest blog. The concept: a series of blogging and writing prompts that help family historians capture their own memories and write about themselvesGo to http://www.anglers-rest.net for more information.

This week's assignment:

The continuation of the 15 month, weekly writing project about my life and memories, created by Julie Goucher.This week’s (Week 9) prompt is Halloween

Have you ever participated in a Halloween event?
When was it?
Where was it?
What did you dress as?
Trick or treat?



image courtesy of franky242
at FreeDigitalPhotos.net


I don't have happy memories of Halloween.  It must be due to the humiliating ridicule I received from my fifth grade classmates over a cheap witch costume I was wearing.  They actually named me as a finalist for best costume so I could receive critiques, then proceeded with the best insults possible from kids of that age.  I'll never forget how that felt.

So, for kids today, getting ready to trick or treat, or hosts preparing for the onslaught, I offer the following requests and tips:

1)  Kids, don't reach in and grab handfuls from the bowl of candy.  Leave some for the kids coming after you and remember that behind the doorbell you just rang lives a family who paid for that candy.  Hosts: Offer them one piece and that's it, or you'll run out before you know it.  I've thought of offering pencils or some other non-edible item, but my husband won't let me.


2) Hosts: Better yet, leave your light off and don't answer the door.  Of course, you run the risk of being vandalized, but this is my preferred option.  (My husband won't let me do this, however.)


3) Hosts: Set a time limit.  We shut off the lights at 9:00 pm.  After that, you kids should be at home, it's a school night!


4)  Kids:  Say thank you. Wait your turn to get to the front of the line.  You wouldn't want someone to shove you out of the way, would you?


5)  Kids:  Wear a costume.  Put more effort into it than wearing a t-shirt that says "This is my costume."  Seriously. And if you're ringing my bell, don't dress up as Green Bay Packer.  Just sayin'.



6)  Kids: If you're older than say, 14 or 15, go to a haunted house or a party.  In my opinion, trick-or-treaters should be little kids, not greedy teenagers.  Go the grocery store and buy candy if you're that old.  Leave this for the ones who still find wonder in the event.  It's like a teenager going to sit on Santa's lap.  


Yeah, I know.  I'm a crabby old lady.  I've never been a big Halloween fan, though.  When my daughter was young, we usually did Halloween at church, where the weather was never a factor, and each room had a theme and plenty of candy to offer without us walking around in the dark.  We did the neighborhood thing a few times, but she enjoyed dressing up in her costume for her school party more than anything else.  


To anyone reading who is a huge fan of Halloween, I offer my apologies.  I don't like the scary stuff, I don't like the occasional episodes of vandalism, and I really dislike dealing with kids who have no manners.  I know they're not all bad, but I think that incident back in fifth grade really tarnished my entire view of Halloween. 
I also don't like the dark undertones to Halloween.  You may say I'm overreacting to that factor, but that's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. Please don't love me less because I don't love Halloween...it's just not my thing.  Bah Humbug! 






No comments:

Post a Comment